Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the most infectious gaming community on the Internet!

Welcome to Biohaze Gaming, the online videogames community for all gaming fans and enthusiasts. Become a member today to get access to our gaming discussion forums, community servers, events, and more. Click the button below to create your free account now!

32-bit drivers on 64-bit OS?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by hyp3rstrike, Jul 14, 2015.

1. hyp3rstrike

hyp3rstrike Community Owner
    Staff Member

Here's the sitrep. Bought a new wireless NIC (Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205) for my gaming notebook, as the existing Realtek NIC doesn't support 5Ghz band networks.

It arrived yesterday, installed to the unit with no issue, and installed the latest driver/Intel proSET software package.

The result is that everything installed fine, and device manager can see the device, but the driver won't start. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled, and installed older versions of the driver set and still can't get the hardware/driver to start. I've even installed vendor specific drivers from my notebook manufacturer (albeit they wouldn't install due to the Intel knes being newer).

The issue seems to stem with the 64bit drivers. So, can you use 32bit drivers in 64bit OS?

2. jam3sm

Epic Member

should be able to but sometimes drivers get locked to specific irq strings in install, when running 64bit system, it normally doesn't matter whether you use 64bit or 32bit software, i personally would give it a shot , whats the worst it could happen that it says unsupported system